A conversation with Dig’s Carolina von Rosen
An easygoing one-on-one with members at A house Ark
May 8th 2023
Carolina is the snack-innovator who started her company “Dig” at age 27. Over the years, she has built a healthy company from the inside out – both in terms of her products and her way of putting a sustainable work-life first. Carolina has been a studio member at A house Ark along with her team since 2017.
Hi Carolina von Rosen, long-time Ark member and founder of Dig. This year, it’s been 10 years since you first launched! Looking back at your journey, what have been the most considerable challenges and learnings so far?
Why does this question feel so difficult to answer? It must be a human defense mechanism that has kicked in. Of course, the journey with Dig has not been a walk in the park. In 2013, I was a hundred percent rookie, as you can hear for yourself. The journey has been quite bumpy and challenging at times. However, I think we have managed to avoid the most classic pitfalls thanks to help from various people in the industry who have helped me along the way – invaluable! But here are some quick takeaways:
“Everything takes longer than you think”
– Putting your soul into something is a privilege but it can also be exhausting at times.
– We have grown without external capital – a big upside for a mission-driven company. It has allowed us to always do our own thing, focus on the right things, and never compromise on what we believe in. It’s insanely motivating!
– It has been a challenge to grow with limited resources, but at the same time, it has “forced” us to take it slow, which has contributed to us having a healthy company today, but above all, made it easier for us to deal with the challenges that have come our way.
– I have learned the importance of perseverance. Everything takes longer than you think. Surprise!
– Outsourced production has probably saved us a lot of time and headaches.
– Successfully combining taste, health, and sustainability in a product has certainly been a challenge, and something I have spent a lot of time on. There have been quite a few prototypes over the years.
You are constantly renewing your brand with new remarkable flavors and products. Where do you find inspiration for products such as no-bake cookies and crumbles?!
I draw a lot of my inspiration from the cookie and candy aisles – from classic sweets! Pinterest is also a great source of inspiration. However, getting into the kitchen and starting to experiment is usually what unleashes my inspiration and creativity the most.
Let’s talk healthy snacks! What is healthy to you and how are Dig’s snacks on the healthy side of the snack-bar selection?
Back to basics! For me, real ingredients are important. A clean content without additives. A content with high nutritional and satiety value that does not cause food cravings, binge eating, and food addiction. I strive to develop products with the shortest possible ingredient lists – ingredient lists that everyone understands! I do not believe in chemicals, so all our products are organic. And vegan, a win for both humans and the environment.
There are many opinions on the subject, personally, I believe in eating as naturally as possible – in moderate amounts.
In what ways do you take care of your mental health to nourish your creativity?
In addition to prioritizing sleep, daily meditation is a key for me, something I couldn’t do without. Work-life balance is something I’ve valued highly since the start of Dig – daring to slow down to increase creative output.
What are the biggest perks for you as a team to be members at Ark?
The entrepreneurial, creative, and relaxed vibe! The environment and energy at A House inspire me every day.
Which one of the A house principles speaks to you the most and why?
Thinking by doing – exactly so, the only way to take a step forward. Baby steps are powerful, and underrated.